As most of you should know by now, our family has faced yet another obstacle - cancer. About a month ago I found out that I had a lesion on my left kidney. After several imaging studies, my doctors concluded that there was a high likelihood that the lesion was in fact a malignant tumor. The decision was made that I would have a nephrectomy, or removal of the entire kidney.
This past Monday, March 17th, I underwent the operation. Everything went well and all of us were relieved. On Wednesday, the pathology report came back and confirmed that the tumor was in fact cancerous. I was able to come home from the hospital on Friday, feeling decent considering. The recovery period after kidney removal is normally about 4-6 weeks, so eight days post op is still early in the game for me.
I am feeling better, but still experiencing long episodes of severe pain. I get tired very easily and still feel very weak. I am noticing slight improvements in my levels of fatigue, but the pain seems to pretty awful at times, especially in my back. I spoke to my doctor and he changed my pain medication today, so I'm hoping to feel better soon.
Also, I wanted to send love and thanks to all of you who have supported us through this challenging time. The flowers, cards, food, phone calls, etc. have been a tremendous help in so many ways. I've learned that it is wise to accept help when you need it and also that I have some wonderful, giving people in my life. I hope that I can return the favor should the need arise for any of you. I'm counting my blessings each day :) Again, much thanks and love to all of you.

